We’re guessing most of you are out of the office, enjoying a day off today!
Those of you who happen to be working, though, might be interested in checking out some interesting stats related to America’s birthday celebration.
Thanks to Wallet Hub for putting together these fun facts:
• 43 percent of Americans celebrate the holiday watching fireworks.
• At the first Independence Day celebration, the U.S. had 2.5 million residents.
• 56 people signed the Declaration of Independence, including Broadway’s man of the hour, Alexander Hamilton.
• 27 different official flags have been used in the U.S.
• 1960 is when the current American flag design was chosen
• $4.4 million worth of American flags are imported annually from other countries (mostly China)
• 63.9% of Americans own an American flag
• 86 places in the U.S. have the words “independence,” “freedom,” “liberty,” or “eagle” in their names.
• 15,000Fireworks displays are held each year
• Americans eat 150 million hot dogs today!
• 3 million people who will watch fireworks from along the Hudson River
To this insightful roundup, we can only add:
• ‘Merica has been a word since at least 2008