Dana Sullivan Kilroy is a communications professional with more than 20 years of experience delivering compelling content. Her work has appeared in national, award-winning publications and sites, including: The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Fast Company, Inc.
Updated February 2, 2018
Many Facebook users are unaware that it's against Facebook's terms to use a personal account to represent a business. According to Facebook, Pages are designed for businesses (including public figures and "personal brands") and organizations in order to help businesses connect with customers and reach their business goals.If your goal is to share updates on your personal profile with a larger network than just friends, you can also allow people to follow you, even if they're not your friends. Among other things, with a Page, you have access to Page insights, where you can see important metrics, like which posts people engage with, and visitor demographics like age and location. Pages can also let you give other people -- colleagues -- access to your Page so they can also post, and make edits to the Page. Fortunately, it's easy to convert a Facebook profile into a Facebook Page. Facebook calls the process a "profile to business Page migration. "Here are a few things to be aware of prior to converting a profile to a business Page:
- You can only convert your profile to a Page one time.
- When you convert your personal profile to a page you'll have a personal account AND a Page after the conversion.
- Facebook will transfer your profile picture and your cover photo to the Page. You'll need to update the Page with images that are appropriate for your business.
- The name on your personal account will become the Page's name.
- Facebook provides tool to help you move information from your profile to your Page for 14 days after the conversion.
- You can choose friends from your profile to automatically like your new Page, but posts on your profile will not be carried to your Page.
- You can manage your Facebook Page from your personal profile.
When the conversion process occurs profile friends will be converted into Page Likes.
If you know a business that has a profile instead of a Facebook Page, or a friend who would like to position themselves as a public figure or personal brand on Facebook, pass thisinformationalong and let us know if it helped!
Recent postsGo back to blog
Are you ready for Gmail and Yahoo’s New Email Sender Requirements?
In an effort to improve security and the over-all experience of email recipients, Gmail and Yahoo have implemented new requirements for bulk senders. Learn what they are and how to stay in compliance with this quick read.
Everything You Need to Know About Query String Parameters
Learn how you can use query string parameters in your next entry form to collect better data and engage users.
Get productivity tips straight to your inbox
Launch an irresistible giveaway. Get started for free.
Join 630.000+ marketers that are boosting engagement and sales.