Dana Sullivan Kilroy is a communications professional with more than 20 years of experience delivering compelling content. Her work has appeared in national, award-winning publications and sites, including: The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Fast Company, Inc.
It's that time of year again! Back to school season is here for some of us, and just around the corner for all the rest. Did you know that BTS is the second biggest retail "holiday" of the year? Here are some wallet-exploding facts:
• The average household with kids in k-12 spends $606 on BTS shopping
• The average household with kids in college spends $1086 on BTS shopping
• In the U.S., $828 billion is spent on BTS shopping each year
• 17.2% of the year's retail sales happen during this time of year
• 50% of BTS shoppers buy apparel
• 37% of BTS shoppers buy supplies
• 41% of BTS shoppers buy backpacks and computer supplies
• 17% of BTS shoppers buy computers
(If you're looking for promotion and giveaway ideas to boost sales, offering deal on clothing, supplies and electronics is a great place to start!)
• 46% of BTS shoppers say price is one of their main deciding factors when it comes to making purchases
• 9.9% of shoppers say their purchases are 100% influenced by deals
• 37% more money is spent when dads are in charge of BTS shopping
• 27% of dads look for coupons when BTS shopping
• 59% of searches containing the word "coupon" are made on a mobile device
• 7.9% of BTS sales are made online• 50% of BTS shoppers browse online and then make purchases in store
• 27% of BTS shoppers organize their shopping lists on Pinterest
• 36 cents of every dollar is influenced by "digital interactions" with a brandYou'll find many more eye-opening stats and other ideas for your back-to-school promotions in this infographic from The Shelf.
Recent postsGo back to blog
Are you ready for Gmail and Yahoo’s New Email Sender Requirements?
In an effort to improve security and the over-all experience of email recipients, Gmail and Yahoo have implemented new requirements for bulk senders. Learn what they are and how to stay in compliance with this quick read.
Everything You Need to Know About Query String Parameters
Learn how you can use query string parameters in your next entry form to collect better data and engage users.
Get productivity tips straight to your inbox
Launch an irresistible giveaway. Get started for free.
Join 630.000+ marketers that are boosting engagement and sales.