Dana Sullivan Kilroy is a communications professional with more than 20 years of experience delivering compelling content. Her work has appeared in national, award-winning publications and sites, including: The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Fast Company, Inc.
Instagram contests arepopular. They're powerful. And they're a perfect way to grow lists of engaged users.Did you know:
- Instagram contests get 64x more comments than regular posts.
- 91% of posts with 1,000 comments are contests.
- Instagram contests get 3.5x more likes than regular posts.
- Contests conducted with partners get 79% more engagement.
But here's the truly eye-opening stat:
Only 2% of Instagram marketers run Instagram contests on a regular basis.
Ready to build an Instagram contest? Make sure you're playing by the rules. This guide will help.
Understand how to accurately describe your promotion
- Sweepstakes: Entrants can win a prize based on chance. No purchase, payment or other consideration is permitted. The winner is picked at random.
- Contest: Effort, skill or merit is required to enter and win. Voting or other judging criteria determine the winner.
- Lottery: Requires contestants to make a purchase, payment, or other consideration. Private lotteries are illegal in the U.S. (do not use ShortStack to run a lottery).
Know the 5 Types of Instagram Contests
- Like-to-Win: Participants like an Instagram post in order to enter.
- Comment-to-Win: Participants comments on an Instagram post in order to enter.
- Tag-to-Win: Participants tag a friend on an Instagram post in order to enter.
- Photo Challenge: Participants post a photo on their personal account using your brand's hashtag.
- Repost-to-Win: Participants repost a specific Instagram image you have shared.
Get Familiar with Instagram's Official Guidelines
Here's a summary of the official guidelines from Instagram:
You are responsible for the lawful operation of an Instagram promotion, including:
- Official rules
- Offer terms and eligibility requirements
- Compliance with applicable rules and regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered
Promotions must include:
- A complete release of Instagram by each entrant or participant
- Acknowledgement that the promotion is in now way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram.
You must not inaccurately tag content or encourage users to inaccurately tag content. (Don't encourage people to tag themselves or others in photos they're not in.)
2 Ways to Publish Rules
Make sure all entrants can find the rules online. There are two places to consider hosting rules:
Create a rules page on your website and make it easy for contestants to find.
ShortStack makes it easy to create a landing page for your Instagram contest. From your Instagram bio, link to the page where your contest is hosted.Want to see the rules laid out in a colorful infographic? Here you go!
A version of this post ran on KimGarst.com.
Create your first Instagram contest now
Get Started Today. It’s free and we don’t need your credit card.
Recent postsGo back to blog
Are you ready for Gmail and Yahoo’s New Email Sender Requirements?
In an effort to improve security and the over-all experience of email recipients, Gmail and Yahoo have implemented new requirements for bulk senders. Learn what they are and how to stay in compliance with this quick read.
Everything You Need to Know About Query String Parameters
Learn how you can use query string parameters in your next entry form to collect better data and engage users.
Get productivity tips straight to your inbox
Launch an irresistible giveaway. Get started for free.
Join 630.000+ marketers that are boosting engagement and sales.