Dana Sullivan Kilroy is a communications professional with more than 20 years of experience delivering compelling content. Her work has appeared in national, award-winning publications and sites, including: The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Fast Company, Inc.
Do you have a friend who can't resist taking photos of her latest Hello Fresh meal creation on Facebook? How about a colleague who posts her OOTD on Instagram?
If you own or manage a business, this trend -- everyday people promoting products they use, even if it's just to their friends -- is worth paying attention to.In fact, user-generated content (UGC), which serves as word-of-mouth advertising, shows no signs of slowing down. And that's why brands are taking advantage of it.According to a 2016 Business Insider report, people who "interact" with UGC are 97 more likely to buy a product than customers who don't. And according to Olapic, the ways in which millennials and boomers use and interact with UGC is very different.
• Millennials say having real people featured in a post makes the branded image more authentic while boomers say the product or service matters more.
• Millennials trust UGC significantly more than they trust brand-created content.
• Millennials rank Instagram as their favorite social platform while 90 percent of boomers prefer Facebook.
• 54% of millennials use hashtags to let friends and the brand know they use a product; 50% of boomers don't use hashtags.
• 76% of 1000 U.S. residents surveyed for Olapic's research say they find content posted by other consumers to be more honest than brand content.
• 27% of people surveyed say they are now turning to UGC instead of ads before making a purchase. Ready to build a UGC hashtag contest or other campaign? Set up a free ShortStack account and we can help you with that!
Recent postsGo back to blog
6 December Contest Ideas That Will Surprise and Delight Your Customers This Year
December is a crucial month for connecting with customers. Social media contests and giveaways can help capture leads and give back to the community.
How the Ontario SPCA Maximizes its Budget with this Multi-Use MarTech Tool
Learn how the Ontario SPCA maximizes its marketing budget by utilizing the multi-use martech tool, ShortStack.
Get productivity tips straight to your inbox
Launch an irresistible giveaway. Get started for free.
Join 630.000+ marketers that are boosting engagement and sales.